kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by RandyP
kjv@Matthew:5:33 @ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths;
kjv@Matthew:5:34 @ But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne;
kjv@Matthew:5:35 @ Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool; neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
kjv@Matthew:5:36 @ Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
kjv@Matthew:5:37 @ But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay; for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO
|info || UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Faith Of Jesus Daily Devotional Podcast with RandyP |
- Before - Save for fornication
- After - resist not evil
What is man believing/doing?:
- swearing by something presumed greater than oneself to convey the earnestness of an oath
- disguising that which is out of ones control/guaranteeing against the unforeseen behind that which is not ours to commit.
- bearing witness or testimony where the facts of a matter must be judiciously determined.
What is making man to believe/do as he is doing?:
- said to be of old
- despite the good intentions of our earnestness the ill deceit of all men precedes us
- in the context of a body of believers being persecuted and suffering for righteousness sake a commitment promised to be fulfilled is sometimes all that is stands between unity and destruction.
- oath has to be given if the product/commitment performed cannot be delivered at the present
Jesus keeping of commandment:
- Lord's oath is Lord's guaranty, what more is there for Him to swear by?
Jesus keeping of faith:
- Preparing followers - Tremendous times are ahead of believers and the body of believers. Not only will tribulations come upon them, they will willingly step into others' tribulations worldwide.
- Image projected to others - as individuals and blocks/groups of individuals Christians must be willing to project "Christ like" principals as ambassadors to the communities and institutions that they deal daily with. Others will be able to anticipate our decisions and commitments making us all the more vulnerable to misfits which means our oaths must be few, in Christ's best interest and well searched out beforehand. Others will be watching closely and use our humanness against us should we falter.
- People will bear false witness against Christians and the body just as they did against Christ, let it not be said that we bore false witness against them.
- Innocent and naive Christians often are overly good intentioned to the point that they are taken advantage of. Jesus says to be as gentle as lambs, but as street smart as wolves.
- Just as in business or government diplomacy, personal arrangements should not be made with the misrepresentation that the body or Christ's body or articles of it's faith stands behind it.
- Trust amongst members can only come by His long and patient work upon us. With each generation the work nearly starts over.
What does this say about our present condition?
- Men look for and expect guaranties where really no guaranty can be issued. The more impossible the situation the more they seek an oath sworn to a greater power.
- Men look to take advantage at every point that they can. Getting one to swear to the terms and conditions or vouching for character/ability of another, then pulling the rug from under those conditions leaving the one liable to a third party is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
- The church is seen as easy prey, especially individual members acting on their own outside of the cover of the body; it is expected that they will do whatever is presented as the "right thing to do". The trouble is what is presented as the "right thing" or "compassionate thing" to do. It may not be the right thing (or right thing right mechanism) as the body would see it; or Christ. An oath is sought, an oath is extracted, an oath is held to even as the deal obviously turns sour. If the oath is then broken by the Christian, the individual is made to feel overly guilty for it. Often the body is portrayed as having broken it's oath so as to entice the individual into taking matters into his/her own hands.
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Matthew:5:33-37 rwp@Matthew:5:33-37 mhcc@Matthew:5:33-37
devotion:FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index