kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by RandyP
kjv@Luke:21:5 @ And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
kjv@Luke:21:6 @ As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
kjv@Luke:21:7 @ And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
kjv@Luke:21:8 @ And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
kjv@Luke:21:9 @ But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
kjv@Luke:21:10 @ Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
kjv@Luke:21:11 @ And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
kjv@Luke:21:12 @ But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
kjv@Luke:21:13 @ And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
kjv@Luke:21:14 @ Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
kjv@Luke:21:15 @ For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
kjv@Luke:21:16 @ And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
kjv@Luke:21:17 @ And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
kjv@Luke:21:18 @ But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
kjv@Luke:21:19 @ In your patience possess ye your souls.
kjv@Luke:21:20 @ And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
kjv@Luke:21:21 @ Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
kjv@Luke:21:22 @ For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
kjv@Luke:21:23 @ But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
kjv@Luke:21:24 @ And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
kjv@Luke:21:25 @ And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
kjv@Luke:21:26 @ Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
kjv@Luke:21:27 @ And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
kjv@Luke:21:28 @ And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
kjv@Luke:21:29 @ And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
kjv@Luke:21:30 @ When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
kjv@Luke:21:31 @ So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
kjv@Luke:21:32 @ Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.
kjv@Luke:21:33 @ Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
kjv@Luke:21:34 @ And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
kjv@Luke:21:35 @ For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
kjv@Luke:21:36 @ Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
kjv@Luke:21:37 @ And in the day time he was teaching in the temple; and at night he went out, and abode in the mount that is called the mount of Olives.
kjv@Luke:21:38 @ And all the people came early in the morning to him in the temple, for to hear him.
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO - Luke:21:5-38:
(See also: kjv@Matthew:24 kjv@Mark:13 )
dict:easton Coming of Christ
I would like to try my hand at interpreting the difficult passage we are considering today. There are other interpretations of course, this however seems to make the most sense to me given the historical items that we already know.
These things must first come but end is not by and by
- But before all these (earthquakes/famines/pestilences/fearful sights/great signs/nation against nation/wars commotions/deceivers).
- This would seem to predict a time before hand = hands on, persecute, brought before kings (betrayed/put to death/not an hair of your head perish).
Desolation thereof (Jerusalem compassed with armies) is nigh/days of vengeance (captive into all nations/Jerusalem trodden down)/until times of the Gentiles fulfilled.
- This would seem to predict the apostolic period recorded in Acts prior to the destruction of Jerusalem and the dispersion. While these items could continue in various forms throughout the terrible things to follow, this may be a specific time outlined for it's extreme intensity and miraculous provision documented over the apostles for a good length of their missionary time.
- This would seem to predict both the leveling of the temple and evacuation of Jerusalem recorded by Josephus and others in 70AD. This began a lengthy period of time of Gentile rule and dominance taking us then into the present.
- This answers the disciple's direct question.
And there shall be signs (great signs), powers of heaven shaken, then shall they see the Son of man/redemption draweth nigh. This generation shall not pass away till all be fulfilled.
- While Israel and Jerusalem have officially become reoccupied by the Jews as of 1947, the Temple for them remains humanly unobtainable. This stage of the prophecy seems to be where we are presently at.
take heed to yourselves lest/so that day come upon you unawares, take heed to yourselves/pray always, accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass.
- This would seem to tie us back into the original "before all these things" statement. Now that the apostolic time, the destruction of Jerusalem time, the Gentile time are fulfilled, the Son of man seen/all within in one generation time can happen.
- The overall teaching is that no matter what point in the time line one is at, the operating principal is the same. Each stage has it's personal challenges the likelihood of being caught off guard is immense within any stage in the process. Due to the literal certainties, all could easily be fulfilled swiftly at any time if not for the patience of God the Father HIMSELF.
"In your patience possess ye your souls".
kjv@Job:26:10 @ He hath compassed the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.
kjv@Matthew:28:20 @ Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
kjv@Hebrews:9:26 @ For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
kjv@Revelation:10:6 @ And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Luke:21:5-38 rwp@Luke:21:5-38 mhcc@Luke:21:5-38
FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index