kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by rRandyP
kjv@Matthew:24:1 @ And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
kjv@Matthew:24:2 @ And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
kjv@Matthew:24:3 @ And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
kjv@Matthew:24:4 @ And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
kjv@Matthew:24:5 @ For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
kjv@Matthew:24:6 @ And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
kjv@Matthew:24:7 @ For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
kjv@Matthew:24:8 @ All these are the beginning of sorrows.
kjv@Matthew:24:9 @ Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
kjv@Matthew:24:10 @ And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
kjv@Matthew:24:11 @ And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
kjv@Matthew:24:12 @ And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
kjv@Matthew:24:13 @ But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
kjv@Matthew:24:14 @ And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
kjv@Matthew:24:15 @ When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
kjv@Matthew:24:16 @ Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
kjv@Matthew:24:17 @ Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
kjv@Matthew:24:18 @ Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
kjv@Matthew:24:19 @ And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
kjv@Matthew:24:20 @ But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
kjv@Matthew:24:21 @ For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
kjv@Matthew:24:22 @ And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
kjv@Matthew:24:23 @ Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
kjv@Matthew:24:24 @ For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
kjv@Matthew:24:25 @ Behold, I have told you before.
kjv@Matthew:24:26 @ Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
kjv@Matthew:24:27 @ For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
kjv@Matthew:24:28 @ For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
kjv@Matthew:24:29 @ Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
kjv@Matthew:24:30 @ And then shall appear the sign of Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
kjv@Matthew:24:31 @ And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
kjv@Matthew:24:32 @ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
kjv@Matthew:24:33 @ So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
kjv@Matthew:24:34 @ Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
kjv@Matthew:24:35 @ Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Today's notes: Part One - Signs of the End Times
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO - Matthew:24:1-35:
- Before - Seven woes
- After - Part Two - Thy Coming
What is man believing/doing?:
- showing Jesus the buildings of the temple
- asking Jesus privately what signs when the end times might be
What is making man to believe/do as he is doing?:
- (assumed - work currently underway to rebuild the temple, it is a highly modified redesign of the first)
- (assumed - a lot of talk of late by Jesus through the seven woe judgments and now one stone not remaining on another) (privately - that there might be something that He would tell them that He would not tell the general masses, or else that talk of this while at the temple would stir concern)
- that they would wait until at the mount of Olives to ask
- The rebuilding of the temple has been long awaited and carries extreme significance for most Jews. It was never completed before being destroyed again in 70AD. From that time to now, though always planned, no effort to rebuild has been possible. index:WEBLINKS Temple
- The quote "this generation" has been interpreted nearly every way possible. Though the temple was destroyed in the time frame commonly interpreted and an abomination present in the temple and miscellaneous, the nations of the world did not rise/stars fall from heaven/false prophets with great signs and wonders/Son appear in clouds of Glory and such. Most Jews fortified themselves in the city and suffered a great time before dieing or leaving on their own power according to historian Josephus. No angels, no trumpet, no gathering from the four winds.
Jesus keeping of commandment:
- departing to the mount of Olives
- prophesying to the disciples about the end times
Jesus keeping of faith:
- (see intreptations below)
- first must come His death and resurrection
- a good deal of time and a whole lot of mis-understanding would have to be suffered
- His followers would have to take on much more tribulation and persecution than just this.
Considerations that have to be present in our intereptation:
- The word Jesus delivered has to be true.
- Everything has to happen within one literal generation. (Generation elsewhere in Gospel always applies to one single generation unless made plural "generations" strkjv@STRING:G1074)
- All the world and all the nations/kingdoms/tribes have to be involved as a witness against them.
- This generation - one generation, a peculiar generation that sees all of these required elements (leaves) line up without any missing elements, all this will happen within that one generation
- beginning of sorrows (end not yet): wars, rumors of wars, nation/kingdom against nation/kingdom, pestilence, famine, earthquakes in divers places
- followers will be afflicted/killed and delivered up being hated of all nations, many offended shall betray/hate, false prophets deceiving, iniquity abounding, love waxed cold - he who endures to the end shall be saved and the gospel of Jesus Christ will be preached in all the world as a witness against all nations, then shall the end come.
- Abomination in temple in the very holy of holies, Judea fleeing, then great tribulation not since the beginning of the world (including 70 AD?), false Christs/prophets
- Immediately after that (great cut short) tribulation - darkened sun, blinded moon, stars falling/heavens shaken, lightening from east and west, clouds of heaven, trumpet and angels, gathering from four winds
- This generation was the disciple's generation Jesus presently was speaking to.
- Everything happened 70AD not to happen again (where does that put us currently?)
- Age means era - (the Gentile era) something similar to what happened in 70AD is to happen again for real in the future.
- This generation quote inserted by three gospel writers because that is what they believed.
- Message is strictly symbolic.
- Jesus lied or is misquoted.
What does this say about our present condition?
- The common belief is that the heart of man essentially is good. For something like this to happen on a worldwide scale would require something (perhaps some desperate world event) (perhaps the domination of another world religion) or someone (like a Hitler) dictating/necessitating such a huge dramatic shift. It is unlikely that a malicious underpinning this big would lay dormant for so long in so many. Or is it?
- It may not be a question of how many would be of this hostile mindset, it may be how many would allow it or get swept away by it or feel it in their best interest not to stand against. It may also be that the shift isn't as huge as we commonly believe it to be. When events like these finally do force one way or the other the fact is that this is the way that they'll choose; a witness against their own selves and nations.
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Matthew:24:1-35 rwp@Matthew:24:1-35 mhcc@Matthew:24:1-35
devotion:FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index