kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by RandyP
kjv@Matthew:8:18 @ Now when Jesus saw great multitudes about him, he gave commandment to depart unto the other side.
kjv@Matthew:8:19 @ And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
kjv@Matthew:8:20 @ And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
kjv@Matthew:8:21 @ And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
kjv@Matthew:8:22 @ But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Today's notes: Follow Whithersoever?
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO
- Before - Shall bare
- After - What manner of man is this?
What is man believing/doing?:
- seeking to follow Jesus on their own terms
What is making man to believe/do as he is doing?:
- a sense of the rightness of following Jesus without an account of the personal cost, a false sense of expectation
- almost a calling of one's self rather than a calling by the Lord, lacking the Lord's preparation
- the desire to follow confronted by separate personal obligations, justification of external factors leading to procrastination/destratcion/delay/busyness
- the earthly ministry of Jesus always on the move, always making demands, never to settle
Jesus keeping of commandment:
- always surrendered, always lead, only priority
Jesus keeping of faith:
- picture of Son of man is lowest of the lowly, even below that of the desolate fox or migrant birds
- scribe might recall Ezekiel's reference to prophets (so called) of Israel being foxes kjv@Ezekiel:13:4, Jeremiah's reference to a desolate Zion left only to foxes kjv@Lamentations:5:18, general sense of ravenous birds stealing the precious seed or dew from heaven away kjv@2Samuel:21:10, these pictures and vague references may be closer to Jesus intent
- It does not say that Jesus gave up on either of these two men, only that there yet remained major devotional issues for them to work through at this stage of their faith in order to serve Him at His level.
First use by Jesus recorded of Son of man
What does this say about our present condition?
- Our appreciation of what Jesus is surrendered to and enduring of is truly lacking as shown in our calculations to follow after Him. Noble is the desire, duplicitous is the expectation. Likewise, our appreciation of what He has prepared the four or twelve or beyond to do is tremendously undervalued. Such is almost hidden from ourselves by ourselves favoring the attitude of what can be done for ourselves
- One might think what a catch it would be for the Lord to get a hold of someone like me, a scribe, when all that He has is untutored fisherman; what things I could add. When as sincere as the scribe thought himself to be, he was put off course by such an elementary observation and without further response or inquiry.
- One might think that surely the Lord will allow me to bury my father beforehand (though it doesn't say that his father is dead or approaching), perhaps even that it would fulfill honoring one's father. In the right circumstance it probably would, but not when the troop has been commanded specifically to move out as it has been here.
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Matthew:8:18-22 rwp@Matthew:8:18-22 mhcc@Matthew:8:18-22
devotion:FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index