The FaithOfJesus2 Daily Devotional Year 2
( FaithOfJesus thread begun by RandyP )
kjv@Matthew:1:17 @ So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
Today's notes: In Thee The Families Of the Earth Blessed
- Before - (OLD TESTAMENT) + (Apocrypha documentation of time of MACCABEES)
- After - Joseph's consent sought Matthew:1:18-25
What is man believing/doing?
- Doing a whole lot of begating!
- Spending their lives through successive generations attempting to live up to God's Will both as individuals and as a people with varying success kjv@Joshua:6:20 kjv@Psalms:106:6-48.
- Awaiting the Messiah kjv@Genesis:3:15 kjv@Deuteronomy:18:18 kjv@Psalms:24:7-10 kjv@Daniel:9:25-26 kjv@Isaiah:53 (also see dict:torrey Christ index:JESUSBYINDEX OTProphecy )
What is making man to believe/do as he is?
- An unconditional covenant based on God's work/faith with Adam/Eve kjv@Genesis:3:15 (this following a initial conditional covenant of man's works that had failed kjv@Genesis:2:16-17)
- A unconditional covenant with Noah (and sons) based on God's continuing faithfulness kjv@Genesis:9:9-13
- A unconditional covenant with Abraham regarding a Messiah kjv@Romans:4:13 kjv@Galatians:3:16 kjv@Genesis:12:2-3 regarding Canaan to seeds kjv@Genesis:15:18 to be "God unto thee" kjv@Genesis:17:2-14 all nations in thee blessed kjv@Genesis:22:18 kjv@Genesis:26:4 kjv@Genesis:28:14; pinpointed through Isaac kjv@Genesis:17:19 kjv@Genesis:26:3-4, then Jacob kjv@Genesis:28:13 kjv@Genesis:28:14 kjv@1Chronicles:16:16-17, then David kjv@2Samuel:7:16 kjv@2Samuel:23:5 kjv@Isaiah:55:3
- A conditional covenant kjv@Deuteronomy:29-30 with the nation Israel based on obedience to the Law of Moses.
Kingly line - Zedekiah is actually considered the last king of Judah who is the third son of Josiah, appointed by the King of conquering Babylon. The the kingly line branches here and ends while the blood line follows through Jehoiakim's son Shealtiel the first of the non kings or princes. It does not seem to be because any of these later kings were any good that the line went the way it did, only by God's promise and discretion.
- What does this tell us about our present condition?
- We prefer to see our involvement with God's Will as being participatory and something we are very close to attaining; biblical history shows us differently. Not only is the overarching covenant given Adam and Eve unconditional and God's doing, the remainder of subsequent covenants are all unconditional except for one and that is most simplistic one that we fail at the most (even the most religious and devout of us).
- Despite all good intentions and revivals of faith and commitment man and our limited successes towards good works, man is largely unable by his own resource to turn against the tide/establish a foothold/maintain that foothold/advance that foothold for any length of time. This holds true even handed God's frequent injection of sacred elements such as covenant, prophecy, communication to, double measure, law, temple, ark, intercession/deliverance of, longsuffering and mercy, direction through established prophets. Each is met with a observable entropy of their obedience and resolve.
- Man is largely unaware of the near cyclic repetition, each generation thinking it is better to the last seeing the mistakes made and fully expecting to correct them only to make mistakes of their own, the similarity of those efforts every several links down the chain.
- We will see in the gospel to come the many fatal mistakes we make as individuals in our approach towards God illustrated in the faces and circumstances of the many who approached Him in that day.
Companion Audio Series:
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO - Matthew:1:1-17:
FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index
|^ FaithOfJesus2||Matthew:1:18-25 >|