kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by rRandyP
kjv@Matthew:9:14 @ Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?
kjv@Matthew:9:15 @ And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
kjv@Matthew:9:16 @ No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.
kjv@Matthew:9:17 @ Neither do men put new wine into old bottles; else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
Today's notes: As the bridegroom is with them
Quoted index: FAITHOFJESUSAUDIO - Matthew:9:14-17:
- Before - mercy not sacrifice
- After - Ruler's dead daughter, woman with issue of blood
What is man believing/doing?:
- fasting at weekly intervals according to tradition, putting an importance on tradition above that which is commanded in scripture
- judging others by whether they do or do not fast as they
What is making man to believe/do as he is doing?:
- tradition, appearances, piety
Jesus keeping of commandment:
- Jesus had already taught the disciples to fast, but not as the hypocrites kjv@Matthew:6:16-19
- audiences fasted for as long as three days while Jesus taught kjv@Matthew:15:32
- Jesus would latter teach fasting essential to the exorcism of certain demons kjv@Matthew:17:21
Jesus keeping of faith:
- There is a time and a place and a reason for fasting. While He was there in the role that He was serving this was neither, it was a time for devoting our attentions to a bridegroom. Because they knew neither Jesus nor the time at hand they knew not to shower Him with honor and attention.
- This is one of the first of many clues that Jesus would be taken. His disciples will soon have ample reason to fast and it will be appropriate.
- The old way is about routine, ritual and scheduled observance manufacturing a form of humility as mandated by oral and national tradition. The new way is about all Jesus, it is in response to Him and the work He is performing upon us. Mixing the two is like patching cloth rather than a whole new cloth or mixing wine in an old sack rather than letting each vintage be contained in it's own vessel.
- It does not say that Jesus is yet doing away with either garment or vintage, only that they should not be mixed. It is almost for the sake old that the new is being separated.
kjv@Nehemiah:9:1 kjv@1Samuel:7:6 fasting best accompanied with humility and repentance
What does this say about our present condition?
- Religious observance is easily drawn away from it's truer intent and purpose. It becomes ritual and mandate. It becomes the measuring stick rather the immeasurable outflow. It becomes detached from the honesty and sincerity of a contrite heart towards it's maker.
- There are hundreds of things we do that may have root in scripture that have been stretched and pulled into something resembling religion. What is supposed to lift souls up instead weighs souls down. It is these religious gestures often that separate us into denominations and factions.
- Could it not be said that we are more attuned to the gestures than to the reasons for them observed from above?
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Matthew:9:14-17 rwp@Matthew:9:14-17 mhcc@Matthew:9:14-17
devotion:FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index