notes - PaulPrayerChapter1:
Pauls prayer life toward believers is revealed most readily in his frequent first chapter discourses. Notice for whom and for what he prays and then why!
This study could even be used as a prayer outline!
We (Team Paul for Team Colossae)
- Thanks (Future) kjv@Colossians:1:3-8
- Desire (Present - Encompassing) kjv@Colossians:1:9-11
- Thanks/Acknowledgement (Continuous Present) kjv@Colossians:1:12-17
Paul and Timotheus (others? kjv@Colossians:4:7-18 ) together give thanks for saints and brethren in Colosse through prayer...
- Praying always (for them)
- For the hope laid up in heaven for them. filter:NT-EPISTLES hope G1680
"Desire (Present - Encompassing)"
- "We" do not cease to pray
- His prayer is that they might be filled
- with knowledge of God's will. filter:NT-EPISTLES knowledge of
- with all wisdom and spiritual understanding. filter:NT-EPISTLES wisdom filter:NT-EPISTLES understanding
- That they might walk pleasing to God
- being fruitful in every good work
- increasing in knowledge of God
- That they might be strengthened
- according to his glorious power
- unto patience/lonsufferring/joyfulness
"Desire (Present - Encompassing)"
- Giving thanks to Father
- made "us" partakers of inheritance. filter:NT-EPISTLES partaker filter:NT-EPISTLES inherit
- delivered "us" from darkness.
- translated "us" into kingdom of Son. filter:NT-EPISTLES kingdom
- Acknowledging Son as
- image of God. Hebrews:1-2
- firstborn in heaven/earth visible/invisible thrones/dominions/principalities/powers. filter:NT-EPISTLES principal
- all created by/for him. filter:NT-EPISTLES creat
- he is before all things.
- "I" thank my God for you
- that "their" faith is spoken of
- Without ceasing making mention of them in his prayers
- Making request
- by any means he might
- have prosperous journey by will of God to come to them
"I..on their behalf"
- I thank my God on their behalf
- For grace of God
- given by Jesus Christ
- That in everything they'd be enriched by him
- all utterance/knowledge
- even as testimony of Christ is confirmed in them
- so that they come behind in no gift
- waiting for Lord's coming
- God shall confirm them in the end
- that they may be blameless in the day of Lord
- Helping together by prayers for us
- thanks might be given by many on our behalf
"That Father might.."
Ceasing not to give thanks for Ephesians making mention of them in his prayers
- That Father might give spirit of wisdom/revelation
- in the knowledge of him.
- That eyes of understanding enlightened
- know hope of calling
- know riches of glory of saints inheritance
- know exceeding greatness of His power toward us
- according to working of His mighty power
- Acknowledgement According to the working of His power
- "Which he wrought in Christ"
- raised from dead
- set at own right hand
- far above principality/power/might/dominion/name named
- this world/world to come
- put all things under His feet
- head over all things
- to the church (body/fulness of Him which filleth all in all)
"Meet for me to think this"
- Thanks upon every remembrance of
- always in every prayer of mine
- Making request with joy
- for their fellowship in the gospel
- Being confident
- he that began a good work in them will perform it until Day of Christ
- Meet for me to think this of them
- because both in bonds and defence/confirmation of gospel
- they are all partakers (of grace given through Paul)
"This I pray, that their.."
- That your love may abound more and more
- in knowledge and all judgement
- That they may approve excellent things
- sincere and without offence till day of Christ
- filled with the fruits of righteousness
- Acknowledgement (fruits)
- which are by Jesus
- unto glory and praise of God
- "We" give thanks for you
- always making mention of you in "our prayers"
- Remembering without ceasing
- their work of faith
- labour of love
- patience of hope (in Lord Jesus)
- Acknowledgement - "knowing brethren"
- their election of God
"We" pray always for them (Thessalonians)
- That God would count them worthy
- of "this" calling
- That (God would) fulfill
- good pleasure of His goodness
- work of faith with power
- That the name of our Lord be glorified in them
- and them in him
- according to the grace of God and Jesus
"I" thank God - whom I serve with pure conscience
- Without ceasing remembrance of Timothy in his prayers
- night and day
- desiring to see Timothy
- mindful of Timothy's tears
- I may be filled with joy
- Call to remembrance
- unfeigned faith in Timothy
- (faith) first seen in Timothy's grandmother and mother
- (faith) persuaded to be in Timothy also
"To Philemon petitioning for Onesimus"
- "I" thank God
- making mention of Philemon always in "my" prayers
- hearing of Philemons love/faith toward Jesus and all saints
- That the communication of Philemon's faith become effectual
- by Philemon acknowleding every good thing now inside him because of him being in Christ Jesus
(Return to parent thread: TopicalNotes)