Applications Of the Like Precious Faith
(begun by RandyP)
This is the second section of three in this series. Please follow them in correct order.
- FoundationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith - The core foundational belief kjv@2Peter:1:1-4
- ApplicationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith - (This page) The means of applying the core foundation to daily living kjv@2Peter:1:5-11
- JustificationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith - The reasoning we put these foundational elements into constant remembrance and put them forward in our lives kjv@2Peter:1:12-27
Helpful hint: Click on verse numbers once then once again to get to a parallel rendering of the KJV with Strongs Greek Lexicon mapping and Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge links.
Helpful hint: Click on the underlined words and phrases to get to the Seeker search page for that word or phrase. There you will find a wealth of resources such as dictionaries and system look ups
"And besides this"
In our pre-requisite FoundationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith study guide we began to get the sense of just how different this "equal to the Apostles" faith is from our many awkward preconceptions, so too is the application of it I believe. It is a transformational faith that is intended to bare abundant fruit in each of our daily lives, yet at the same time this is a faith sorely misunderstood and mis-applied. Shall we say mis-sourced and mis-directed.
We begin with the consideration of what any other man or women regardless of faith in Jesus would likely be willing to pursue/manufacture. Diligence well certainly. Logic would tell us that we are doing too little or else too much in the wrong direction. Do more and do right, it's a no brainier. Faith, at least hope and confidence or strong determination would be part of it. Knowledge of course would be the wise pursuit. Oh and temperence, patience, strong moral compass, brotherly kindness, love. You see all of the things that Peter is going to be focusing on in this next section of the chapter are things that anyone and any faith can muster up and increase in on their own. The primary question that we've held ourselves to in this study however is where and how the difference in Jesus takes place and how that difference cannot be duplicated or emulated by any thing other.
So when you go to consider this passage and search through all the many associated links remember the "and besides this". It might be better thought of as "what I have just said is the key to what I am about to say".
Applications of the Like Precious Faith kjv@2Peter:1:5-11
- Think in terms of your current diligence(s) -
- What is it that you are busying yourself with today that is not directly influenced by the "like precious" foundation already spoken of? (Service/apostleship, obtained faith, righteousness of God and Savior, grace+peace, divine power, exceeding promise, partaking divine nature, escaping corruption). Heavily influenced shall we say?
- How could today's diligence be more directed to and by these foundational elements?
- Does anyone other than the "like precious" believer have access to this level of influence upon all possible doings during their day?
- Is it faith of a different given origin to all others that we are boldly stepping out on with diligence? Or is it similar to anybody else's?
- How courageous and true to the faith are we really being diligent about in this present situation?
- Why would it take this valorous courage if it was the same thing everyone else wanted us to be diligent doing?
- How virtuous is it really if not heavily influenced by and sourced from God?
- Is this compound form what we are diligently seeking?
- Is this compound form diligently being developed and adhered to within the course of such practical daily matters?
- How temperate have you been lately with the answers you have diligently sought to find?
- How temperate have you been in the application of those answers once you found them?
- How diligently temperate have you been in keeping corrupted influences from those answers?
- How much more has the foundational aspects of the "like precious faith" (the "and besides this") been focused on verses the fearful diligence toward problems or consequences and other corrupting entrapments?
- Have you pursued seeking the means of such temperance with like minded patience?
- Have you been temperate about seeking out the the right kind of patience to step out into?
- Has you temperance been openly patient towards others as well as yourself?
- Is this patience something that you have been trying to force out of yourself or something that has come naturally being influenced by God's perfect model of godliness shown in Christ?
- Is this godliness derived from the better sense of your relationship to God in Christ or is it derived from legalism? the manufacturing of your own self worth and moral standard?
- If another was to describe your godliness, would it be said to be derived from Christ's kindness to all men?
- Would it be said of your kindness that it is empowered by an unusual Christ like highly influenced form of godliness?
- Is it a kindness act that can not be duplicated in intent or production from any other worldly source?
- Is this type of agape kindness in your thoughts, but not yet in your actions?
- Is this type of agape kindness at principal work in your present considerations in any form?
- What does your present situation say about your use of these these additional (or resultant) compound "like precious" items?
- Has the abounding and fruitful expectations of these foundations been firmly established and developed or have you been either shortsighted or blind to their productive use?
- Is your confidence in your overall salvation in the future enhanced by the productive use of these salvation principals here today?
Again, none of these are easy questions even for the most established in the faith. They are important questions to ponder and adapt to nonetheless; these and the many others that arise from them as well. We have yet to come to any particular answers again, but the direct the chapter is leading us is becoming quite clear. Faith like this is intended to produce a different and substantial fruit; that by God's direct influence through Christ. This faith is a different thing by it's very nature, because it is not us manufacturing this for God it is us stepping fully into what HE has provided us, HIS immediate influence in and on and through us.
Knowing at least this general direction, now let's tie this back to your addiction. You can go back to doing this battle by what every one else is having to do; manufacture by their own corrupted strength and ability. Or better you can place all your faith and diligence in what HE has wanted all along to influence upon you by your direct connection to HIM through Son Jesus Christ. Your marriage, your hostile anger, your torment of having been raped, your suicidal thought, with any of these issues they become opportunities for you to better settle into your given faith so that you can settle further into your faith in the battles yet to come.
Better even still is that through your victories in Him you then have the strength and obtained conviction to serve and apostle Christ to others just as Peter did. That friends is the fulfillment of "love thy neighbor as yourself".
We will shortly continue with this study with the JustificationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith section of the chapter to follow. Take your time however to soak up all the direction and spiritual nutrition these leadings have to offer.
Quoted index: FOUNDATIONSOFFAITHAUDIO - APPLICATIONS :
|info|| The Foundations of the Like Precious Faith Series Companion Podcast with RandyP pcarr:FoundationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith |
|kjv@2Peter:1:5-11|| LISTEN TO APPLICATIONS COMPANION PODCAST NOW MP3|
|Application|| Overcoming Suicidal Thought LISTEN TO MP3|
|Application|| Addiction And Recovery LISTEN TO MP3|
Edit pcarr - ApplicationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith
Create Thread to pcarr - ApplicationsOfTheLikePreciousFaith
pBiblx2 Field Wise Bible System v.2.0.13 GPL @2009-2015