Ephesians - Notes Chapter 1
(thread begun by RandyP )
Paul's Praise of Father Begins
nkjv@Ephesians:1:6 to the praise of the glory of His grace..
nkjv@Ephesians:1:12 ..to the praise of His glory nkjv@Ephesians:1:14
nkjv@Ephesians:3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Just as HE (Father) Chose Us (Saints/Faithful) in Him (Christ)
Quoted resource: strongs 'G1586'
(foolish things, weak things, base/despised, Apostles, our fathers (Israel), Gentiles, us in Him, the poor of this world, the twelve, you and ordained you to go and bring forth fruit, you out of the world, the elect)
Before Foundation of World
Quoted resource: strongs 'G2602'
Before = Lamb, names written in book of life, kingdom prepared, Father's love for Son, Son's glory with Father, election of saints
Since = works, blood of prophets, secrets kept, one sacrifice once for all
(see also: Creation)
That We Should Be Holy
Quoted resource: strongs 'G40'
- (Holy as in Ghost/Spirit, Prophets, One, Nation, Generation, Priesthood, Commandment, Child, Place, Ground, Mount, Angel(s), Temple, Apostles, Covenant, City, Jerusalem, Scriptures) as in standing apart from and fully dedicated to and performing service/worship of the Holy of Holies.
- Frequently as Saints (alone)
- (think of potter's vessels made unto honor)
- (think of Paul to the "hagios" of Ephesus, that we are chosen by the Father before to be this)
And Without Blame Before Him
Quoted resource: strongs 'G299'
- How so?
- nkjv@1Peter:1:19 precious blood of Jesus
- nkjv@Colossians:1:22 body of His flesh through death
- nkjv@Ephesians:1:4 choice made before creation
- nkjv@@Hebrews:9:14 purging of conscience from dead works to serve living God
- nkjv@Jude:1:24 Him that is able to keep you from falling
- nkjv@Revelation:14:5 (resulting in) in their mouth found no guile
- (spoken of church, us, you)
Quoted resource: strongs 'G26'
(The Love Feast)
(see also: Love)
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4309'
(unto adoption, to be conformed to image of Son, according to good pleasure/the purpose of HIM, then called/justified/glorified)
(see also: Predestin)
To Adoption as Sons
Quoted resource: strongs 'G5206'
- by Jesus Christ unto Himself nkjv@Ephesians:1:5
- (result of) redeeming them that were under the law nkjv@Galatians:4:5
- (Israelites) whom pertain the adoption nkjv@Romans:9:4
- spirit received (not of bondage again to fear) nkjv@Romans:8:15
- we groan waiting for the adoption (redemption of our body) nkjv@Romans:8:23
according to the good pleasure of His will
Sample: nkjv@John:6:38-40; nkjv@Galatians:1:4; nkjv@1Thessalonians:4:3; nkjv@1Thessalonians:5:18; nkjv@1Peter:2:15; nkjv@1Peter:4:19
to the praise of the glory of His grace
Quoted resource: strongs 'G5485'
("especially the divine influence upon the heart and its reflection in the life")
(see also: Grace)
Made Us Accepted
Quoted resource: strongs 'G5487'
(Made and Accepted are same word twice (?favouring/accepting us to be favoured/accepted?))
(think of Mary highly "favoured" amongst women nkjv@Luke:1:28)
(see also: Favour)
In the Beloved
Quoted resource: strongs 'G25'
nkjv@1Thessalonians:1:4 @ Knowing, brethren beloved G25 , your election of God.
nkjv@2Thessalonians:2:13 @ But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved G25 of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
nkjv@James:2:5 @ Hearken, my beloved G25 brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
nkjv@1Corinthians:2:9 @ But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love G25 him.
nkjv@1John:3:11 @ For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love G25 one another.
nkjv@1John:4:7 @ Beloved, let us love G25 one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth G25 is born of God, and knoweth God.
Continuing Praise Worthy Accomplishments Done in Christ
In Him we have redemption through His blood
Quoted resource: strongs 'G629'
- Christ made unto us nkjv@1Corinthians:1:30
- of purchased possession nkjv@Ephesians:1:14
- justified freely by _ that is in Christ nkjv@Romans:3:24
- out from under the transgressions of first covenant nkjv@Hebrews:9:15
- draws nigh nkjv@Luke:21:28
- sealed unto the day of nkjv@Ephesians:4:30 nkjv@Romans:8:23
the forgiveness of sins
Quoted resource: strongs 'G859'
- baptism for nkjv@Acts:2:38 nkjv@Luke:3:3 nkjv@Mark:1:4
- whosoever believes in Him nkjv@Acts:10:43
- preached nkjv@Acts:13:38 nkjv@Luke:24:47
- eyes opened from power of Satan in order to receive nkjv@Acts:26:18
- without blood there is no nkjv@Hebrews:9:22 nkjv@Matthew:26:28
- where there is there is no more offerring for sin nkjv@Hebrews:10:18
- knowledge of salvation given by nkjv@Luke:1:77
- (translated) deliverence to captives, (translated) liberty to bruised nkjv@Luke:4:18
- not issued to those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit nkjv@Mark:3:29
Quoted resource: strongs 'G3900'
- nkjv@2Corinthians:5:19 ...(God in Christ) not imputing their trespasses unto them
- nkjv@Colossians:2:13 And you, being dead in your sins nkjv@Ephesians:2:1 nkjv@Ephesians:2:5
- nkjv@Mark:11:25 ...that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses
- nkjv@Romans:4:25 Who was delivered for our offences
- nkjv@Romans:5:15 ...For if through the offence of one
- nkjv@Romans:5:16 ...the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
- nkjv@Romans:5:17 For if by one mans offence death reigned by one; nkjv@Romans:5:18
- nkjv@Romans:5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound.
- nkjv@Romans:11:11 ...through their (Jews) fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, nkjv@Romans:11:12
- nkjv@Galatians:6:1 ...if a man be overtaken in a fault
- nkjv@James:5:16 Confess your faults one to another
according to the riches of His grace
In Him also we have obtained an inheritance
Quoted resource: strongs 'G2820'
being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4309'
- nkjv@Acts:4:28 counsel determined before
- nkjv@Romans:8:29 to be conformed to the image
- nkjv@Romans:8:30 them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified
- nkjv@1Corinthians:2:7 ordained before the world
- nkjv@Ephesians:1:5 us unto the adoption
- nkjv@Ephesians:1:11 according to the purpose
Quoted resource: strongs 'G1012'
that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4276'
the gospel of your salvation
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4991'
you were sealed
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4972'
who is the guarantee of our inheritance
Quoted resource: strongs 'G2817'
until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory
Paul's First Prayer
- that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you:
- the spirit of wisdom
- and revelation in the knowledge of Him
- the eyes of your understanding being enlightened
- that you may know what is the hope of His calling
- (know) what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints
- (know) what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe
Quoted resource: strongs 'G4151'
- Spirit of God/Spirit of the living/God Spirit of Him who raised Jesus
- Spirit of the Lord/Spirit of His Son/Spirit of Jesus Christ/Spirit of Christ
- spirit of faith/Spirit of grace/Spirit of glory
- Spirit of holiness/spirit of truth/spirit of gentleness
- Spirit of life/Spirit of promise/spirit of wisdom
- spirit of the man/spirit of the world/spirit of your mind
- spirit of bondage/spirit of error/spirit of stupor
- spirit of the Antichrist
Quoted resource: strongs 'G1922'
- knowledge of God/knowledge of the glory of God/knowledge of the mystery of God
- knowledge of Him/knowledge of His will
- knowledge of the Son/knowledge of Christ Jesus/knowledge of our Lord
- knowledge of the truth/knowledge of sin
Quoted resource: strongs 'G2817'
- nkjv@Colossians:3:24 of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of
- nkjv@1Peter:1:4 incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you
- nkjv@Ephesians:5:5 no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath
- nkjv@Acts:20:32 among all them which are sanctified.
- nkjv@Hebrews:9:15 they which are called might receive the promise of eternal
- nkjv@Galatians:3:18 God gave it to Abraham by promise.
- nkjv@Hebrews:11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance
- nkjv@Ephesians:1:14 (Holy Spiirt) the earnest of our inheritance
- nkjv@Ephesians:1:18 in the saints
- nkjv@Ephesians:5:5 in the kingdom of Christ and of God
- nkjv@Luke:20:14 (Husbandmen design to kill heir to gain) nkjv@Matthew:21:38
- Paul's knowledge of Father's work for Christ:
- according to the working of His mighty power
- which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead
- seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places
- far above all principality/power and might and dominion/every name that is named/not only in this age but also in that which is to come.
- He put all things under His feet
- gave Him to be head over all things to the church
- which is His body
- the fullness of Him who fills all in all