Let's turn to Today's text nkjv@John:16
Today's sermon I am titling "These things I have spoken to you"
Example - larger scale view: Robert Bateman's painting of a Bison "Chief" on exhibit in Jackson's Hole WY close up/at distance (all the chapter details = 80 mins was as short as I could get it. To do each detail real justice I figure 4-5 sermons)
Let's now read from God's inspired infallible word:
That is our text from God's inspired infallible word. God be praised! Now allow me to give my humble commentary.
Observation #1 (1st brought to light 16:12 still many things yet/you cannot yet bear)
- Observation #1: Everything planned for (no mistakes/no surprises/it is expected in spiritual eye)
- Reaction of Jews to Gospel (nkjv@Isaiah:53 who hath believed/despised+rejected) (put of synagogues/killed - Paul nkjv@Acts:29 imprisoned/put to death/punished/compelled)
- Reaction later of world to Gospel (nkjv@Psalms:2 why do nations rage+people imagine vain thing) (nkjv@Hebrews:13 burned/sawed/feed to lions/etc)
- 6:6,22 Sorrow/confusion of disciples 1(as their master nkjv@Isaiah:53 man of sorrows, acquainted with grief) (but for human sorrow nkjv@Luke:22:45)
- 16:2,20 What disciples will have to go through (Jesus telling us this so that we not be made to stumble) (enemies=own household)
- 16:32 Solemn course of Jesus (nkjv@Psalms:22 strong bulls of Bashan encircle/poured out like water)
- mistake? surprise, or indication of severity of condition/extreme depth of remedy?
Observation #2 (1st brought to light 16:12 still many things yet/you cannot yet bear)
- Observation #2: Everything is provided for (nkjv@2Peter:1:3 - hath given all things pertaining)
- 16:7-15 Holy Spirit, work of (in/on/around/through)
- 16:23-24,26-27 Provision of Father through prayer in Jesus name
- (HIS grace sufficient)
- what would we provide for ourselves that would have any effect against all this anyway?
Observation #3 (1st brought to light 16:12 still many things yet/you cannot yet bear)
- Observation #3: All is result of standing firm on the Gospel
- Gospel in Jesus own words: DIR:Congregational
- (loving darkness rather than light/from beneath dying in sin/not desiring truth/rejecting way/exposed)
- It is the reaction of the sinful heart against the Jesus/Gospel that all these things must happen (natural mind at enmity against it nkjv@Romans:8:9)
- God is using this reaction to convict people back into HIS graces (instigators/bystanders)
- reaction against experienced by the disciples/early church/reformers (Wycliff/Huss/Luther)/revivalists (Wesley/Edwards)/ (wherever/whenever the gospel is held firm) us?
Observation #4 (1st brought to light 16:12 still many things yet/you cannot yet bear)
- Observation #4: This is where the work of the Holy Spirit comes in (el-eng-kho convict, admonish, convince, tell fault, rebuke, report)
- 16:9 Conviction of Sin - First and foremost sin of unbelief
- sin known by man - innate conscience/natural or created order/common observance/law
- man more than capable of casting knowledge of sin aside
- man's goodness is response to his sinfulness not response to God's holiness
- Spirit attempts to address this by addressing unbelief (leading to spiritual regeneration)
- Spirit works through written word/human agency/shaping events + consequences/convicts of their acts against/futility of their efforts/etc...
- 16:10 Conviction of Righteousness - not only man's sin but man's unrighteousness (in relation to God's righteousness)
- (Question: God's righteousness has raise up a Savior from all this/what has man's raised up?)
- as evidenced by it's treatment of Christ (continuing into today)
- as evidenced by it's treatment of Saints (continuing into today)
- as evidenced by it's treatment of Gospel (continuing into today)
- as evidenced by it's treatment of one another/the poor/the oppressed/etc.. (continuing into today)
- what they believe to be their righteousness is unrighteousness thru and thru
- conviction not only of their leaders, but those simple minded who consent/watch/stand by
- this despite Spirit's testimony of Jesus ascending to right hand thrown
- 16:11 Conviction of Judgment - (including rebuking man's judgment)
- unjust sinner judges Christ rather than Satan (whom Spirit testifies to already be judged)
- unjust sinner as much as blames God than itself for present condition
- unjust sinner judges God for setting a eternal consequence for his unbelief/unrighteousness/unjust judgments rather than believe and bring his works into the light
- 16:13-15 Comfort/Help to saints (guiding/teaching/remembrance/testifying/telling things to come/glorifying Christ)
- Today we are woefully negligent in receiving this work of H.S.
- H.S. has gone about this while guiding us through all this Father/Son/Gospel hatred (15:18-20 hated me before it hated you/world loves own/ye are not of this world)
- Observation #5: (suggested nkjv@John:16:29-30) Importance of our image of Christ (knowing true Jesus+calling in light of all this)
- Christ's potential cut short? Potential on hold to 2nd return?
- Life here now will be a cakewalk because of belief in Jesus? All this was back then?
- That we are left to sort this out on own? exercise/evolution?
- Jesus our traveling buddy?
- Christ on the throne possessing all HIS Father's glory sending Holy Spirit to cause this spiritual transformation in us? (Ancient of Days Dan/Ezek) (Acts:9/Rev:1) HOW IMPORTANT IS THAT IMAGE OF CHRIST NOW?
Importance of Holy Spirit's work (ex=Spirit's inspired word (tangible result of work)) setting that image for us:
- 10 works of the Holy Spirit (again from the context of nkjv@John:14-16)
- nkjv@John:14:26 teach you all things (all things nothing without Christ)
- nkjv@John:14:26 bring to your remembrance all things (written word does both)
- nkjv@John:15:26 testify of Me (create true image?)
- nkjv@John:16:8 convict the world of sin (refute worlds image) (human agents?)
- nkjv@John:16:8 (convict the world) of righteousness (refute worlds image)
- nkjv@John:16:8 (convict the world) of judgment (refute worlds image)
- nkjv@John:16:13 guide you into all truth (not speak on His own authority) (Jesus: I am truth....) (truth is not avoidance it is participation in the larger scheme)
- nkjv@John:16:13 tell you of things to come (redefine personal expectations)
- nkjv@John:16:14 glorify Me ..take of what is Mine and declare it to you (create true image?)
- These things I have spoken to you that...:
- nkjv@John:16:1 that you should not be made to stumble/take offense (DON'T TAKE OFFENSE) (planned/provided/result of/to be spirit empowered)
- nkjv@John:16:4 that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them (THESE THINGS WILL HAPPEN WHEN WE STAND FIRM IN THE GOSPEL) (receive/keep/guard true image)
- nkjv@John:16:6 because I have told... sorrow has filled your heart (GODLY SORROW IS ONE THING - CRIPPLING HUMAN SORROW ANOTHER) (in this we should ask for Holy Spirit)
- nkjv@John:16:12 I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them (NOW THAT WE HAVE THE SPIRIT LET US CALL OUT TO THE FATHER FOR SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT)
- nkjv@John:14:26 the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name (THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES BY NO OTHER NAME OR RELIGIOUS PERSUASION)
- nkjv@John:15:11 that My joy may remain in you (THINK OF CHRIST's JOY)
- nkjv@John:15:11 that your joy may be full (LET CHRIST's JOY BE YOURS AND FILL YOU) (HOly Word perfect place to start)
DIR:IF TIME Reread Back to God's Holy Word to consider in light of my humble commentary: nkjv@John:16